Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Aiming to Ride in Not-So-Perfect Weather

David Marcus in the 2012 Olympics... competing in heavy rain!!!
I almost didn't go riding after work today. Why? There was a constant 25+ mph wind blowing everything around. Yet it was 55-degrees outside, and I realized that the weather was much nicer than I rode in at the National Finals last fall. So I had no reason to chicken out and even more of a reason to go ride. 

The weather in Kentucky at last year's National Finals was miserable (40-degrees and 15-20 mph winds) and highlighted the fact that my show clothes are more suited for the Southern heat instead of frigid cold. This year I will be sure to bring 2-3 more layers of warm clothing to wear under my show clothes!

At shows, our fancy dressage horses are frequently forced into performing in less than perfect weather conditions. Rain, wind, freezing cold, southern heat... they can all happen at a show! Unless you're willing to throw away all the money you've paid to enter your classes (assuming the show is continuing), you're going to be competing in the weather at the show.

On the drive home after riding, I was wondering why we don't ride more in the miserable weather to desensitize our horses and ourselves to doing so. Then the random plastic bag flying across the arena during your test because of strong winds wouldn't be as spectacular of an event. 

The BHB and I had a few small "moments" during my ride tonight with the strong winds blowing the bamboo and trees next to the arena around, but it was quite easy to work through. I was also able to get more practice managing a very excited and hotter BHB, which was a good experience for me. Riding in not-so-perfect weather is a new goal for this year. I'd like to be fully prepared for any condition I might run across at a show. 

No comments:

Post a Comment