Tuesday, March 18, 2014

When To Step Up a Level

Should you wait for the ideal movement when everything's correct or throw yourself in with a challenge?

Now that I'm re-evaluating my show schedule this season, I've been pondering whether I should go ahead and make the jump to second level at our next show or hold off until I'm more consistent in riding the collected gaits and the canter to walk transitions. There's no such thing as "too uphill" for us either!

After that, I was thinking that we are solid at first level, but there are still some things I'd like to master before we completely move on-- such as softly bent elbows, better downward transitions, and great centerlines. We could be super competitive at first level this year with a very good chance of making it back to Nationals for it. Maybe I'll show first level until we hit a solid 70% a couple times. If I'm going to be showing at first level anyways, I should probably show in the 6 classes we need this season to get enough qualifying scored for the musical freestyle challenge at first level, which would also give us enough first level scores to earn an all-breed award and try to end up in the top 100 in horse of the year.

With a competent rider, the BHB could easily show at third level at the next show, but I have too many basics still lacking... and, well, I'm also not doing schooling all the required movements at that level :). Maybe this fall or next year I'll attempt to get the scores for my bronze medal, but I'm not ready yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment