Friday, October 24, 2014

Riding the "Big Trot"

I think riding the big trot may be the nemesis of many adult amateur riders. I'm lucky that I don't struggle as much as others I know, but I'm definitely no master! It has definitely been something I've been trying to work on since I have a horse that's extremely talented in the big trots.

Heather, expert on fancy dressage horses, believes the BHB could easily score 8's and 9's in his medium and extended trots if “I” can push him enough and manage to keep him balanced at the same time… without flopping all over the place myself! In order to keep myself from bouncing around in a big trot, I have a tendency to tense my entire body, which is definitely not the correct way to ride it. It seems to be something you have to ride over and over while experimenting to get it right. Here is what has been helping me so far in improving “big trot” riding:
  1. Shorten reins before even thinking about adding impulsion
  2. Take a deep breath and sit deep with correct rider position
  3. Add collection to help lift the front end and rev up the back legs
  4. GO! Loosen the upper thighs while squeezing the calves (and heels if necessary)
  5. Keep fingers closed (no spirit fingers!) and slightly pulsing on reins (not hanging!)
  6. Keep squeezing with calves and adding some heel/spur if necessary
  7. Almost to end, so take another deep breath, pulse calves lightly instead of squeezing to keep impulsion, and add half halts to slow back down

Sounds easy, right? ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment